Voters in my state should know about:

Proposition 37 - The California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act

A YES vote on Proposition 37 will require the following:
~ Labels on all raw or processed food offered that is made from plants or animals that have been genetically altered in a lab.
~ Ban labeling or advertising any food with genetically modified ingredients as "natural."

The labels will not apply to food served in restaurants, alcoholic beverages and any organic food or product that is accidentally or unknowingly contaminated by GMO crops nearby.

Learn more:
http://www.carighttoknow.org/ http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/California_Proposition_37,_Mandatory_Labeling_of_Genetically_Engineered_Food_(2012)

733 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminChris Potter (Partner, Environmental Action ) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NVhorsegirl commented  · 

That's the problem Rachel... it's all about quantity, not quality...

• Rachel Brand commented  · 

If the producers of food are proud of what they make, they won't mind being honest about proper labelling

• Kevin Anderson commented  · 

We have the right to know what is in our food.

• A commented  · 

The rest of the world is way out front on this one. Just label it. Why hide anything if there is no danger.

• Nancy Hummel commented  · 

We have the right to know what is in our food.
        GMO's are toxic amd should not be in our food chain.

• Kathryn Price commented  · 

It is high time we insisted on knowing how our food is treated. I am just disheartened over the effects of genetic modification on our produce, making it unpalatable to any self-respecting bug or organism, not to mention people...As for GM livestock, I cannot actually even think about it. And this has all been accomplished surreptitiously.

• Loree McKenna commented  · 

If California passes this, it will apply to the whole USA! About time - Europe has had protective laws for quite some time.

• TED commented  · 

If everything you buy in a store is genetically engineered,then I would be better off getting my meats from a local slaughterhouse and my vegies I either grow myself or buy from a farmers market. That way none of it would or should be genetically engineered.

• Patricia Campbell commented  · 

I really want to know what I am eating in NY as well. I did happen to ask at our local Farmer's Market if the sweet corn was genetically modified. The vendor answered YES, that is what most of it is now. I am glad I asked another as she said NO it isn't GE modified but it isn't organic. WE NEED TO ASK.

• Bruce Van Tassell commented  · 

The real shame in this, that we elected these governments that took such a weak stand with these bio-tech companies. Looking only at profit not our health I believe in mandatory labeling but have little faith in the policing of there must be a consumer board unaffected by lobbying from any outside company or agency.

• B OHara commented  · 

GMO are not adequately tested and new long term studies have shown frightening results. These foods are toxic and we have a right to know what we are eating. If these foods are safe then why is the opposition (BIG biotech companies) spending over 40 million to defeat labeling? Yes on Prop 37 and give us a choice.

• L Chan commented  · 

I want to know what is in the food I'm feeding my grandchildren. What are the big food and agriculture businesses trying to hide from us? They are spending millions to defeat this grassroots campaign and to confuse the voters with a disinformation campaign. Inserting foreign genes into the foods we eat is causing a huge rise in allergies and other disorders in our kids.

• Thomas and June Esposito commented  · 

This should be the law everywhere. We have the absolute right to know what we're buying and big companies want to deny us that right.

• Tracy Robles commented  · 

I agree with Sharon "This should be on ALL states ballots"!

• Brenda Lee commented  · 

YOU WILL BE SUPRISED AT WHO WANTS THIS PROP TO BE DEFEATED!

Monsanto has doled out $4,208,000; PepsiCo (parent company of Izze Beverage Company and Naked Juice Company), $1,716,300; Coca-Cola (Honest Tea, Odwalla, Simply Orange Juice Company), $1,164,400; ConAgra (Alexia, Lightlife), $1,076,300; Kellogg Company (Kashi, MorningStar Farms, Gardenburger, Bear Naked), $632,500; General Mills (Cascadian Farm, Muir Glen, Lärabar), $520,000; Smucker’s (R.W. Knudsen, Santa Cruz Organic), $387,000; and Dean Foods (Horizon, Silk), $253,000.

Additionally, the Council for Biotechnology Information—which is made up of agricultural-pesticide giants Monsanto, DuPont, Syngenta, Dow AgroSciences, Bayer CropScience and BASF Plant Science—and the Grocery Manufacturers Association each have donated $375,000. And the Biotechnology Industry Organization has put in $250,000 toward trying to make sure Californians do not have access to accurate labeling of the food they buy, as far as GMO content goes.

Educate those who don't know even what a GMO is! Ask your stores to support this prop and get out and vote YES ON PROP 37!!

• Brenda Lee commented  · 

I can't believe that we have allowed Monsanto and others to poison our food suppy. This is outrageous and I am so glad to vote yes and educate people about this issue. If you want to get involved in your state click on the link and get involved! This SHOULD be nationwide!
        http://occupy-monsanto.com/biohazards/

• Abra Gwartney commented  · 

Labeling GMO foods and food components is the most important vote we can make because Monsanto and other genetic labs are destroying our foods by making them inedible. GMO or GE foods modify gut flora and fauna that stops digestion and cause hard-to-diagnose and harder-to-cure diseases. I don't know about you, but MY body was designed specifically by Nature to consume natural, organic foods for optimal operations. All other foods are poison! Period!

• Judy Landress commented  · 

I'm a Texan, but the labeling of GMO foods, starting with Prop. 37 in CA, affects everyone & is the most important issue facing our individual and collective health in America today.

• NVhorsegirl commented  · 

I agree with Sharon... this should be a nation wide mandate.

← Previous 1

environmental voter tool: CA

Feedback and Knowledge Base