Voters in my state should know about:

Ban Fracking in Longmont

Longmont CO proposes to be the first city in America to Ban fracking.

Voters in Boulder and Weld counties will have a chance this fall to vote on a charter amendment, the Longmont Public Health, Safety and Wellness Act, which would place a ban on the controversial oil and gas extraction process known as hydraulic fracturing or fracking.

Over 8,000 signatures were submitted to the Longmont city clerk this summer in order to qualify the measure, almost double the number required.

Here's what Michael Bellmont, a member of Our Longmont, the group that gathered the signatures, said about the need for this charter amendment: “Fracking threatens our constitutional rights to protect our health, safety and property. We believe Longmont citizens have the right to decide whether this dangerous and destructive practice should take place next to their houses and their children’s schools.”

Learn more at:
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Longmont_City_Fracking_Ban_Question_(November_2012)
http://longmontroar.org/

548 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris PotterAdminChris Potter (Partner, Environmental Action ) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Janice A. HenryJanice A. Henry commented  · 

This is wonderful that Americans are fighting back and protecting
        God's beautiful earth.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Worst impact is rarely mentioned - how much water it permanently takes out of the system.

• Rose RohalRose Rohal commented  · 

I know a person who has an idea for nuclear power plants burning up all the toxic waste but he hasn't gone their yet.

• Rose RohalRose Rohal commented  · 

They are starting to frakking in Ohio and I don't know what the consequences will be. I have a Organic Farm in Ohio and they are building a well on my neighbors property. I hope this doesn't impact my organic farm which has been organic for quite some time.

• John RandleJohn Randle commented  · 

One would think that nuclear power, with it's poisonous wastes never considered before dumping it on future generations for safekeeping, would have prompted the scientists of gas fracking to ensure safety for the public before unleashing the untested technology nationwide.

• KevinKevin commented  · 

Corrupt the earth & it will corrupt all around and in it!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Longmont is leading the country in waking up to the realization that fracking is a short term solution to having more energy, that has a fatal long term effect on the earth -- fresh water is necessary for life and fracking ruins fresh water.

• Katherine KautzKatherine Kautz commented  · 

We know fracking is dangerous to our health and to the environment. They have scientists - let them find another way to drill.

• Anonymous commented  · 

FRACKING IS VERY BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT- STOP IT NOW

• Alexis Maestre-SaboritAlexis Maestre-Saborit commented  · 

The World Needs of God.
        god is the Only power in the world.
        Alexis Maestre-Saborit

• NVhorsegirlNVhorsegirl commented  · 

I agree Janet and Janet!!! Bravo!

• JanetJanet commented  · 

this should have been 3 votes, FRACKING and GMO biofuel crops affect all of us. domestic pets and food animals, the environment and soil/pestacides, health/air/water and depletion of health, food, water, air/soil and animals. reverse laws re Monsanto/Syngenta takeover of healthy food crops. Compensate losses and health re illnesses due to contaminated crops/food animals/milk/water. Monsanto and pals need to choose one, Biofuel crops or leave regular healthy foods /crops to local farmers. They CAN'T have both. They are like noxious weeds that need to be eradicated as they serve no purpose except their own.

environmental voter tool: CO

Feedback and Knowledge Base