Voters in my state should know about:

MI Energy MI Jobs -- require 25 percent of our energy to come from local, renewable sources by 2025

A proposal on the Nov. 6, 2012, ballot requiring that 25 percent of Michigan’s energy come from renewable sources such as wind, solar and biomass by 2025.

Michigan currently imports its energy from other states and countries

Local renewable energy projects, by definition, employ local workers and keep dollars circulating in the local economy.

Studies by independent economists predict that implementing this proposal would cost the average Michigan household an average of $1.25 a month, and in the long run could reduce energy bills.

More than 30 states, including Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa, already have adopted renewable energy standards similar to Michigan’s proposal and greater than Michigan’s current RES of 10%.

Reducing reliance on coal and other fossil fuels is proven to reduce pollutionin the air, in the Great Lakes as well as preventing asthma and lung disease.

This initiative is supported by local groups ranging from the Michigan Nurses Association to the League of Conservation Voters

Learn more:
http://mienergymijobs.com/
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Michigan_Renewable_Energy_Amendment_(2012)

541 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris PotterAdminChris Potter (Partner, Environmental Action ) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rodney PeasleyRodney Peasley commented  · 

Whether you believe in Global Warming or not, the stranglehold by the Oil oafs must be tackled, otherwise the planet will turn into one sticky polluted mess, with their irresponsible actions and greed. Clean energy is the key!

• Rose RohalRose Rohal commented  · 

I think renewable energy is the way to go and unfortunately the oil and gas lobby are getting their way with the Congress of the United States. They are folding and not representing the citizens who voted for them. I think they need a cut in pay to $7.25 an hour which is what most citizens get and they should get rid of their health care which is $5-10,000 paid by the taxpayers.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I hope i was an american citizen but not, i only hope you the american people will vote on issues and not party line.

• Brenda LeeBrenda Lee commented  · 

Here is a link to a NEW BLADELESS WIND TURBINE that is BIRD FRIENDLY, cheaper to make than conventional turbines and puts out MORE POWER than traditional turbines. The company is looking for a partner to bring it to market. This would be a good bet for Michigan!

http://www.treehugger.com/wind-technology/new-bladeless-wind-turbine-claimed-be-twice-efficient-conventional-designs.html

I hope someone makes it happen for Michigan to be the leader with this new technology!

• Abra GwartneyAbra Gwartney commented  · 

Local, where possible, is ALWAYS best. It keeps money in local circulation longer. Made in America has always had a place in my heart. It means prosperity for Americans, not the Chinese. And that is music to my ears. It is why I will not shop at Wal Mart....ever!

• Anonymous commented  · 

build more wind & solar power anb build natural gas & electric cars and buses also preserve our forests-rivers-oceans and air we breath

• Christine LundChristine Lund commented  · 

Many big businesses are only interested in making the most money with the least effort, on their part. The workers however are not a consideration. Their pay, health and welfare are only important if it effects their profits. Small businesses can take back their power by eliminating the largest cost, power. Take back your community, buy a windmill farm. Create and build wind and solar equipment and maintenance parts. Rely on each other. Barter.

• JanetJanet commented  · 

I agree. Something has to change. Those Power players are addicted to coal/profits. Epigenetic medical illness and genetic mutations are the cause of my disability. I never worked near coal/electric/nuclear plants. These are serious and painful and lead to medical collusions/coverups. medically retired RN 28 years.

environmental voter tool: MI

Feedback and Knowledge Base